Upholstery Scotland provides an upholstery service to the Kilmacolm area.
Choosing upholstery fabric for dining chairs
Every now and then, we are asked to complete specific re-upholstery projects; many of these requests are for dining chairs to have a new life breathed in to them but with this, comes the sticky question: which upholstery choice is best for this Kilmacolm project?
There is such a wide variety of upholstery fabric choice that it can be difficult to know which one to opt for; after all, you may favour a light coloured silk, but is this the best fabric for a chair that will be used several times a day AND by small children? The answer is probably not and, with a deeps sigh, the customer may assume that this means the end of this particular choice… but we have many more options and we guarantee you will get the right upholstery, with the look you want for your Kilmacolm home.
Questions that inform your decision…
Consider your answers to the following questions:
- Will the dining chairs be used daily or are they for 'occasional dining'?
- Have you children or pets?
- Are these chairs going to be the centre piece of the décor, or the accent colour?
- How would you describe the room where they will be? Extravagant or minimalist?
- What will be the colour scheme?
Durability and robustness
Even most delicate looking of upholstery for your Kilmacolm project needs to be durable and robust; after all, no one wants to be spending money, year-on-year to replace worn fabric,
Here are the basic fabric groups from which to choose:
- Cottons- a natural fibre that is resistant to wear, fading and piling (the small bobbles that can be a nuisance and are created from friction). However, it is not good at resisting stains BUT, has been mixed with other fabrics to create a fabric that is more stain-resistant.
- Acrylic- developed as an imitation of wool, acrylic is a synthetic fabric that resists wear, soiling, fading and wrinkling. A popular upholstery fabric for a Kilmacolm home.
- Polyester- rarely used alone, this tends to be a mixing ingredient in other fabrics. The results are exceptional.
- Rayon- is a synthetic answer to silk, but is more durable. However, it is not completely immune to wrinkling; advances in manufacture has made it a more practical fabric to blend with others.
- Leather- another natural fabric that many people opt for when it comes to upholstery for dining chairs in their Kilmacolm home. However, for some, it is simply budget busting but with vinyl fabrics becoming ever more 'life like', there are always other options!
Of course, with upholstery on any dining chair, it is the ability to keep it clean and stain free which is important. As a result not all fabrics are suitable.