Choosing the Right Upholstery for your Motherwell Home
Part 1: Natural Fibres
Here at Upholstery Scotland, we are asked by both Motherwell homeowners and businesses alike about the best styles, types and colours of fabrics to use in their upholstery projects. And so, in this two-part article, we look at the use of natural fibres and materials (in part 2, the use of synthetic or man-made fabrics are considered).
Natural fabrics are those materials that are created from the use of raw materials found in the natural world; cotton, for example, is grown on plants in warm countries and then treated and processed to make the material commonly found today. Wool is a product found on sheep and is well-known for its warm, insulating properties. Here we examine all the possible options:
Cotton and cotton blends
- Two of the most common fabrics that are both durable and easy to clean
- It also resists wear, fading and pilling, but is less resistant to soiling and wrinkling.
- sturdy, family-friendly
- For everyday use, we would suggest applying a stain-resistant treatment
- This is a by-product from the beef industry and is a beautiful fabric to work with
- It is very forgiving and easy to clean - simple wipe over with a damp cloth
- It is a tough material and is now available in a wide range of colors and finishes
- However, its character develops over time, as well as softens.
- Linen is a fabric increasing in popularity
- It is known for staying clean, absorbs moisture
- However, this fabric is best suited for formal living rooms or 'adult only' areas as it can stain easily
- If you wear linen, you will know that it wrinkles easily.
- While it may not withstand heavy wear, linen does resist pilling and fading.
- Silk is a beautifully delicate and soft material than stays clean
- Line linen, this fabric is probably best suited to adult areas of parts of your home not frequented too often
- Silk must be professionally cleaned if soiled or stained
- However, despite this there are many applications where silk could be useful
- Wool is a naturally occurring product that is gaining in popularity mainly because it brings so many benefits
- It is water repellent and incredibly durable
- Wool and wool blends offer good resistance to pilling, fading, wrinkling, and soil.
- Wool can be blended with a synthetic fiber to make it easier to clean.
- Wool is warm in the summer and cool in the winter.
- A little known fabric, this is from a plant belonging to the nettle family
- It offers brilliant stain resistant and absorbs moisture too
- It fibres are one of the strongest natural fibers
- If green credentials are important you then opting for this fabric is a good choice
- Ramie can be up to 8 times stronger than cotton and is even stronger when it is wet making a good choice for families!
- Hemp is a fabric that is processed by seperating fibers and then weaving into a fabric.
- In your hand, it feels like linen and looks like linen too
- it also provide warmth and softness where ever it is used, as well as being incredibly durable
- But, just like linen, it can wrinkle easily which reduces it popularity somewhat as an upholstery fabric.
If you are looking for the perfect fabric for your upholstery project, whether you are a Motherwell home or business, here at Upholstery Scotland we can help; call us to find out more!